Mufti Hafiz Qazi Hassan Raza was born in the city of Haripur, Hazara in the North West Frontier Province of Pakistan (NWFP) on the 12th September 1964.
Although as a boy, he spent significant time studying with his father Mufti Saif-Ur Rehmaan, the Shaykh also completed his Masters in Arabic at the International Islamic University, Mphil in Arabic at the University of Peshawar, and spent time studying at Alaama Iqbal University.
During his university life he completed an entire thesis based on one word of the Qur’aan, highlighting his immense knowledge. The Shaykh Mufti Qazi Hassan Raza has Ijaza in the Naqshbandi Silsila from Shaykh Fazl ur-Rahman, and is a strong advocate of Zikr, holding regular gatherings. He also has Ijaaza in various other salasils including the Qadri and Owaisi tariqah.
He was blessed with the honour of being born into the house of Mufti Saif-ur-Rahmaan Qadri, a renowned scholar and teacher who descends from eleven generations of great personalities that have been highly qualified in the Islamic sciences, even to the extent that they taught Hadith in the Arab world, especially in the Haram of the holy city of Makkah.
Resides: Bradford, UK
Current Occupation: Head of Markaz ul Islami and Homeopathic
Education: Hifz, Dars Nizami, MPhil
Preferred Subject: Tassawuf, Education, Charity
Notable Teachers: Mufti Saif-Ur Rehmaan, Shaykh Fazl ur-Rahman
In 1978, at the age of 13 years Mufti Hassan Raza completed the memorisation of the Holy Qur’an, a grand accomplishment. During the month of March in the same year Mufti Hassan Raza established his very first organisation which was called ‘Anjuman Ishaat ul Ulum’ (The Association for the Promulgation of Knowledge ),’ with his first publication, ‘Shabe-Baraat ki Haqeeqat’ (The reality of the 15th of Shabaan).
The Shaykh undertook the national metric course, followed by the attainment of certificates in ‘Adeeb Arabi’ and ‘Fazil Arabi.’ In 1985, at the age of 21, Mufti Hassan Raza completed the traditional ‘Dars-e-nizami’ course. Thereafter the Sheikh went onto carry out an M.A at the International Islamic University in Islamabad, and then completed a postgraduate diploma in the field of ‘Qaza’ (Fiqh course).
In 1993 at the University of Peshawar the Imam completed his coursework to attain his MPhil. He did not complete his thesis to gain a PhD, but instead decided to teach the sciences that he had learnt over the years.
In June 1986, the Shaykh was founded with his father, the Saifia Muhammadia school, which has now increased to a chain of 35 schools & hostels for both boys and girls in rural areas of the NWFP, Pakistan. This project further established, Saifia Muhammadia Welfare Society, Saifia Muhammadia Legal Aid and Saifia Muhammadia Computer Centres.
The Sheikh moved to England in 1998 and was appointed as Imam for the Hanfia Mosque in Manningham, Bradford. The Shaykh’s non-orthodox style allowed him to gain popularity in the community. His experience and vast knowledge allowed him to advise the community on Islamic Manners in a fair manner. He also established many courses relating to Fardh Ayn and Arabic, courses which were not widely accessible. This soon led to the Shaykh establishing his own centre for teaching in Bradford.
As classes and students grew, the Mufti acquired a new complex, namely, the SM Complex in Bradford, which is a Mosque and Islamic centre for Men and Women. It also allowed the launch of Al Markaz Academy, a Muslim college, ofsted regulated and teaches secular sciences up to GCSE level.
Mufti Hassan Raza is also a Sufi Shaykh in the Naqshbandi tariqa with ijaza of many other tariqas, The Shaykh, from a very early period established bi-weekly Zikr mehfils. the Shaykh often stressed the balance between knowledge, Zikr, the day job and the family.
The Imam has also held many seminars and circles over the years such as Dars e Bukhari, Recitation and translation of the Qur’an, The Five Pillars of Islam, Practical demonstration of the method of performing Hajj, Seerah of the Prophet (pbuh), and Commentary of the Qur’an.
The Shaykh also currently works as a Homeopathic after receiving a an Advanced Diploma in Homeopathic Medicine
The Shaykh has also established a Marriage service for those in the UK.
Following on from the Shaykh’s active charity work during the 2003 Pakistan Floods, the charity SMT was founded. These include a Hospital in the NWFP of Pakistan to provide healthcare to the destitute in these areas. As well as:
- Maternity units across rural areas of Pakistan with the aim of reducing maternal death rates during childbirth.
- Computer centres, and provide tuition fees, teachers’ wages and course materials to children across the world.
- Thalassemia Centre which provides free blood transfusions and other medical services.
- An Orphan Project in Asia and Africa, which provides education, clothing, healthcare and gifts to orphans.
- Food packages across the world for the poor, and last year was able to provide food for over 20,000 families.
- Water sanitation project that includes community education, restoration of wells, and building water supply systems across Africa.
- Sewing Machine centres
- Food banks
- The Support Muslim Business forum founded in West Yorkshire, by Mufti Qazi Hassan Razza. On the basis of reviving this tradition, SMBF aims to unite Muslim business people and professionals, men and women, bringing their strengths together to strengthen the international Muslim Community.
- Dar-ul-Uloom Islamiyyah Rahamaaniyyah Dars-e-Nizaami 1985
- Dar Ul Uloom Rabbaniyyah Memorisation of the Holy Quran 1977
- Abbotabad Education Board Fazil Arabi, Islamic Studies
- International Islamic University Islamabad Master of Arabic (M.A)
- International Islamic University Islamabad Diploma in Sharia Law
- Karachi Education Board Adeeb Arabi, Islamic Studies
- University of Peshawar Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) in Arabic Language and Literature 1993
- Hahnemann College of Homeopathy, London
- Depression: What Does Islam Say?
- 54 Khutbaat
- A brief guide to Silent Remembrance
- Al Arba’een – A collection of 40 Ahadith
- Al Qissas wa Diya – This book is a summary of the History of the Hazara peoples.
- Al- Qawwaa’idul Ibtidaa’iyyah – A book teaching Arabic reading for beginners
- Arabic words which are present in Urdu – This book sheds light on the etymological links between the Urdu and Arabic language using various examples.
- Duroos e-Ramadhaan
- E’raab Us Salaah – A grammatical analysis of the recitation within Salaah.
- Faizaan e Salaat
- Grammatical analysis of the 30th Para
- Nahw ur Ridhaa
- Practical Etymology
- Seerah of the Prophet: Q&A quiz book
- Summary of the Qur’an
- The Original Prayer of Mankind
- The True Religion
- Transliteration and Commentary of 150 Hadiths
- Usloob ul Qasri bi inna ma fil Qur’an al karimThis is the Shaykh’s MA thesis
- Usool ut-Tafsir
- Verbs in The Qur’aan
- At a very young age Mufti Hassan published the following: ‘Kalima Tayyiba ke Fazail’ (The virtues of the First Kalimah), ‘Ahkam-e-mayyat’ (rulings about the deceased), ‘Fazail-o-masail-e-itikaf’ (the virtues and the rulings concerning Itikaf), and ‘Ramzan mubarak ke fazail’ (the virtues of Ramadan).
- The Imam, with his father, did an apprenticeship in Dar ul Iftah, writing answers to questions in the monthly magazine of Jaam’e Irfaan.