Habib Ali al-Jifri was born in Jeddah of Saudi Arabia. He currently resides in Abu Dhabi and traces lineage to his ancestors in Tarim and also tracing his lineage back to Prophet Muhammad ﷺ. The Shaykh is a prominent student of Habib Umar bin Hafiz and Habib Muhammad al-Haddar and spent many years taking spiritual training from them.
He began taking knowledge from his early childhood from his first teacher, his mother’s great-aunt the scholar and knower of God Safiah daughter of Alawi son of Hassan al-Jifri, she had an immense influence on him and the direction he took in the pursuit of knowledge and spirituality.
As a continuation of the authentic methodology of receiving Sacred Knowledge, and wayfaring on the spiritual path, through an unbroken chain of masters, all the way back to the Messenger of God may God Bless him & his family and give them peace, a methodology the preservation and maintenance of which, the valley of Hadramaut and the city of Tarim are renowned.
Resides: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Current Occupation: Islamic Scholar
Education: Islamic Studies
Preferred Subject: International relations
Notable Teachers: Habib Abdul-Qadir Bin Ahmad al-Saqqaf, Habib Ahmad Mashhur Bin Taha Al-haddad, Habib Muhammad Bin Abdullah al-Hadaar, Habib Umar bin Hafiz
This work was continued in the intellectual Milieu of the Hejaz which became a meeting point for the Scholars of the School of Hadramaut when they were exiled from the South of Yemen during Communist Rule; he received his education in the Sacred Sciences and the Science of Spiritual Wayfaring at the hands of Scholars and Spiritual Educators, among them:
- Habib Abdul-Qadir Bin Ahmad al-Saqqaf in Jeddah – with whom he studied the Authentic Hadith Compilations of Bukhari and Muslim, as well as the Revival of the Religious Sciences of Imam Ghazali and other important texts. He continued studying directly under his teacher from the age of 10 until he was 21 years of age.
- Habib Ahmad Mashhur Bin Taha Al-Haddad – among the books he studied under this master was: ‘The Clarification of the Secret Knowledge known to those Brought Near to the Divine Presence’.
- Muhammad Bin Alawi al-Maliki al-Hasani – he studied Hadith Terminology, Legal Principles and the Biography of the Prophet.
- Al-Habib Attas al-Habshi, Habib Abu Bakr al-Mashhur al-Adani, and the Scholar Sheikh Muhammad Ba-Sheikh.
- He studied Islamic Studies under the great Habib Muhammad Bin Abdullah al-Hadaar. At this point, he also started calling to people to the way of God and ilm.
- After Habib Muhammad passed away, he was in the company of Habib Umar for ten years (1993 – 2003).
- Active member of The Royal Aal al-Bayt Foundation for Islamic Thought in Amman, Jordan.
- Secretary General to the Board of Trustees for the Al Mahabbah Awards.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the European Academy for Islamic Culture and Science in Brussels, Belgium.
- Visiting Lecturer (summer program) at Dar Al-Mustapha for Islamic Studies in Tarim.
- Founding the ‘Guidance Media’ Company and Magazine in the UK.
- Founding the Board of Trustees for the ‘European Academy for Islamic Culture and Science’ in Brussels, Belgium.
- Founding the ‘Noor Centre for the Preservation/Renovation, Documentation and Editing of Manuscripts’ in Tarim, Yemen.
- Habib is a scholarly title given to an Imam/Shaykh within the Valley of Hadramawt, Yemen. Such a scholar can trace back his lineage to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) through his grandson, Hussein.