Is Subway Halal?
Due to the growing popularity of the Subway chain and with the diverse multicultural population across the UK and Ireland, Subway decided to make some outlets halal. Although this created anguish and confusion at first. Subway have firmly maintained supplying Halal food where they thought best. There are currently around 2,000 SUBWAY stores in the UK and Ireland, 202 of which are Halal stores selling only certified Halal meats.
Subway claim their halal meat supply complies with EU animal welfare legislation and all animals are stunned prior to being slaughtered. This principal is not against Islam. However, it still raises an eyebrow as to whether Animals die whilst being stunned.
All Halal meats are certified by The Islamic Foundation of Ireland or the Central Islamic Committee of Thailand.
The Islamic Foundation of Ireland
The Islamic Foundation of Ireland certifies products of the following categories:
- Meat products such as beef, lamb and poultry.
- Dairy products.
- Processed meat-based and non-meat food products such as pizzas and sauces.
- Food ingredients such as vitamins and mineral premixes.
Requirements for Certification of Meat Products:
The Islamic Foundation of Ireland require the following conditions to be met:
- Filling in the Halal certification application form (Obtainable from the offices of the Islamic Foundation of Ireland)
- Entering into a written agreement with the Islamic Foundation of Ireland (I.F.I.) whereby the I.F.I. agrees to issue certificates in respect of beef/lamb/poultry slaughtered by the company according to Islamic rites subject to the standard conditions and procedure set out by the I.F.I. (Contact IFI offices for a copy).
- Signing a statement of willingness to comply with the I.F.I. standard conditions and procedure for certification.
- Agreeing to set up a Halal Assurance System (HAS)
- Upon receipt of the application for certification an on-site audit visit is carried out by two auditors of the Islamic Foundation of Ireland to examine the slaughtering, de-boning and storage facilities of the company and the competence of the Muslim slaughter men. At the end of the audit, a report is prepared by the auditors. If the audit report is approved and the I.F.I. is satisfied that the company is capable of Halal production, the company is informed of the decision.
This organisation is clear about its standards, thus maintain Subway are halal.
The other organisation is the Central Islamic Committee of Thailand. You can read on the the Central Islamic Committee of Thailand by clicking this link.
Subway is a monitored organisation and halal. All Halal SUBWAY stores have numerous signs stating that they serve Halal food. These are situated on the menu panels, nutritional information and in the front window of the store.
We would like to assure you that all the meats at the “Halal” Subway stores are certified Ha meats. Ham and Bacon products have been substituted by “Turkey Ham” and “Turkey Rashers”.Subway
Find a halal Subway
Find your local halal subway using this link.
Recipes may change so always check the ingredients on the pack.